Thursday, October 4, 2012

Updates

We have finished all Brennyn's Infant and Child Developmental testing. Now we wait for the youth worker to summerize her findings and go over the results with the psychologist (who only visits once a month).
Brennyn did very, very well on the actual testing. I am not surprised by this at all. My girl is one smart cookie, however the distractions sometimes get the best of her.
The youth worker did often have to coax Brennyn back to the testing or the seat itself, but she had so much patience. Never once did I feel that she was getting frustrated with Miss B.
Wish I could say the same about myself, heh heh. I will admit to being frustrated with my child every now and again, especially when it takes her 20 minutes to get her socks and shoes on.
Anyway, as I mentioned, she does not appear to have any developmental delays in regards to educational material. We were also asked to fill out a few behavioural questionnaires, as was her teacher. This is the part that I am most curious about. We did a sensory questionnaire, behavioural and ADHD as well. I am not sure how they go about scoring these tests, so I have no idea what the results will be.

Just hoping to have some sort of answers or plan of action. Unfortunately, there seem to be certain situations that set Brennyn off but they are often unavoidable. Brennyn still acts out in crowds of people, but I can't leave her at home when I go to pick her sister up at gymnastics (which is as big a crowd in a small space as you can get) and her Dad is at work.
I am mostly able to avoid taking her to the grocery store, since I try to go when she is at school in the morning. For some reason the grocery store has always been a trigger for Brennyn. It could be the bright lights, the noise or just the amount of items to look at.

Yes, I am that mother whose kid runs around wildly. I am also that mother who often has a very tight grip on my 5 year old's arm at times. I am the mother who gets the stares from the other people in the store, school, party, etc.
Yes, my child still occasionally will lick a window, bus seat or whatever.

You know what, she is still an amazingly strong kid who has come a long, long way in 3 years and I think she is awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment