Thursday, August 12, 2010

Finally







Ha, computer, I have you figured out. I finally can post some updated pictures. Now the next thing is trying to find all my old pictures that were saved on the back up hard drive, but that is a project for another day.

The girls and I have been very busy this summer. For some reason, I felt this crazy need to pack in as much as possible the summer before Avery heads to big girl school. Let's see, we have been to the Toronto Zoo (spring, but it still counts), the beach many, many times, African Lion`s Safari, Avery`s been to Canada`s Wonderland with her Aunt, a ribfest and more.

The Safari was such a big hit. I haven`t been there in probably 20 years or so. I used to live 5 minutes away from the African Lion`s Safari when I was growing up so for me, it wasn`t that big of a deal. I think I was the only kid in my neighbourhood not to work there over the summer (okay, not really a neighbourhood since it was in the middle of nowheresville, but still).

The place has improved though, they put in an amazing splash pad for the kids. I think the girls like that part more than the animals.
We took the bus through the park and I highly recommend that mode of transportation (even if the buses look exactly the same as the ones I went on when I was a kid). After witnessing a few monkeys trying to eat pieces of a car, I was glad we were on the Safari bus.
The girls thought the monkey`s were hilarious. Especially when the bus stopped suddenly and 8 monkeys fell off the roof.

As an aside, whenever I travel to places I once frequented as a child, I think I will see people I once knew. Yet, that rarely happens. It`s funny how I lived in that area for 20 years, but I rarely think of it. I don`t drive by the old house, the pond we used to skate on, the lilac bushes I made forts in. Once my parent`s moved, it just wasn`t our place anymore.
Yet, my husband drives by his old house every so often (it`s easier though, seeing as we do live in the same town he grew up in).
I just feel a house is just a house. It`s the family who lives in it that makes it a home.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness I laughed so hard about the monkeys falling off the roof!! Hahaa!

    Yes, the family definitely makes the house the home. But I am the same about my granparents house, I love to drive by once in a while, even though it's sold and doesn't even look like it once did. It's still very poignant.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete