Sunday, August 22, 2010

You never know when the questions will come

Reading Avery her twentieth story of the night, a classic sesame street books (for some reason she is loving her sesame street collection). Avery notices that one of the characters looks exactly like her mom (I think it was Betty Lou and her mother so they both had pink faces, blond hair, etc). She asked me "hmm, is she adopted"? I responded with a "I'm not sure, they really don't talk about the parent's and kids on sesame street". " I don't think so though, because they do have very similar features (they look identical, it's a cartoon of puppets and one is just bigger with longer hair).
"Oh, so she grew in her mommy's tummy".
I was about to ask Avery if she wanted to talk about it, but she insisted on reading more of the story.
2 minutes later I noticed how she appeared to be thinking about something.
I asked her if she wished she looked more like me, and she said yes. I guess I wasn't expecting that.
We often talk about how we look alike and how we look different (love that sesame street book, We are different, We are the same).

Avery said "I wish I grew in your tummy". After we talked about it for two seconds, she wanted to read stories again.
I brought it up again as I was turning out the lights and we did chat about adoption, birth mothers, etc.
Kids always want to talk about serious subjects when you least expect it! I think I handled it well, but we will be talking about this a lot more.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Mama. I love how easy their converstions are at this stage and especially how fast they change too. One minute it's about adoption the next minute it's about eating candy. :)

    Jill

    ReplyDelete