Tuesday, March 20, 2012

War Amps (and how thankful I am)



These pictures have nothing to do with this post, I just think they are so cute (I know, once again I have to say that I am biased because they are my kids). You can see Brennyn's mischievious side in the top picture. The second picture was taken at the Pioneer Village school house. Grandma and the girls were having fun with the slate boards.

Anyway, back to the purpose of this post. I have mentioned how Brennyn has Ectodermal Dysplasia and her particular syndrome is ADULT syndrome which basically has caused her cleft hand, skin issues, dental issues, etc. Won't go into all the fun medical speak.
I just once again want to say how thankful I am to Sick Kids hospital in Toronto. Don't know where we would be without them!
I also want to say thank-you to the sweet Grandmother we met at the Plastics Clinic at Sick Kids a few weeks ago (she was there with her 12 year old Granddaughter and I really wish I had asked her name).
Brennyn quickly befriended this lady (Brennyn befriends anyone and everyone and I know that screams attachment issues, but I honestly think it's just who she is).
This lady's granddaughter was also missing fingers and was also waiting to see the same doctor as us. The Grandmother mentioned War Amps to me and said how great they have been for her granddaughter. I of course said that I thought War Amps was for children who lost limbs in an accident or born missing limbs. She said that was not always the case and she made me promise that I would ask about the program.
Now, I am a little on the shy side (okay, a lot) and it turns out that we only saw the doctor for 2 seconds and I did not have a chance to ask him. However, when I got home I did a little research and called War Amps. They were so amazing and friendly.
At first they said they were unable to accept B into the program at this point in time, but they would try and match us with a family who had a child with missing digits as well.
An hour later they called me back and said they reviewed B's file and decided to accept her into the program. I was so surprised. We are already registered to go to their yearly weekend conference in May!

I wish I could go back and thank that lady at Sick Kids. I think this will make a world of difference for my daughter!

3 comments:

  1. Some things are so meant to be, I believe people are sent into our lives, like this case, almost like an angel... and they change our life in an amazing way.

    So thrilled for Brennyn!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete