Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Had this post in the edit section, wasn't going to hit publish.

I feel the need to chat about China's waiting child program. Something has been on my mind lately.
As most of you are aware, our youngest daughter was a waiting child. We decided to adopt from the waiting child program for many reasons, one of which is that we wanted our second child to be the same ethnicity as our first. Also, my husband had open heart surgery when he was an infant. We initially requested to adopt a child with a heart condition since my husband has lived with that his whole life.
As it turns out my daughter does not have a heart condition, but she will be having many operations over her lifetime.

This brings me back to what I've been struggling with a little. I see so many people commenting about how the waiting children from China have minor correctable medical needs. I love that people are advocating for China's waiting children and yes, some of the children do have minor correctable medical issues. However, many children have medical needs that are a little more serious. My concern is that some families may be going into the adoption process not understanding how involved some of these needs can be.
I also think that we, as adoptive parents sometimes don't like to talk about the difficulties we are dealing with.
We want to talk about the happy times, positive moments, all the good times.

Personally, I am a research queen. I read many books, talk to people (well mostly online since I am on the shy/somewhat antisocial side), and research the issues. Does that mean that I was prepared for our second trip to China to adopt a 2 year old who had spent her whole life in an orphanage? Not so much, yet I felt completely prepared boarding that plane to China. In reality it was a terrifying (for my daughter and us), heart wrenching experience. Yes, my research did show me what could happen but when you are in that moment it is a whole other ball game.
Now, do not misunderstand me, I love my daughter. She is the most amazing little girl, so cuddly, outgoing and happy (mostly), smart and very strong. I would do that trip over again in a second. I'm also not going to sugar coat it, we as a family struggled. It was a huge adjustment for Brennyn, living with a family who spoke some funny language, leaving the only home she had ever known, seeing doctor after doctor. Brennyn cried and screamed a lot those first 4 months home (and I don't mean a little shriek now and than, no I'm talking about a full blown breaking glass scream). She was also a very sick little girl(parasites, etc.).
I just think that sometimes families may be going into a waiting child adoption a little unprepared for the outcome.
As I mentioned in my rambling, my daughter will need many surgeries. Her "condition" is not correctable. The surgeries are to make her hands as functional as possible. Although, if you ask me her hands are just as functional as any other 2 year old but I digress.
There are also some other medical issues that we are working with as well.
We were well aware that our daughter would need surgery. We were also given extra time to have her file evaluated by other doctors. Our agency was very thorough and had given our daughter's file to a few other doctors before we were even given her referral. We had more than 3 weeks to make our decision at that time. This was when some agencies received agency lists from the CCAA and the agency was responsible for making the matches. This is no longer the case (at least not in Canada) as each agency must use the shared list. Our agency and the doctor who reviewed Brennyn's file were very honest about her condition and the fact that they really did not have any answers, it was a bit of a guess as to what her condition actually was and is. I just knew that we would do whatever she needed, no matter what and that she was our daughter. Again, I knew all this ahead of time, so it was no surprise that Brennyn will be spending some time at Sick Kids.

All this to say that sometimes I think by not talking realistically, we are doing waiting parents and the waiting children a disservice. Families need to be prepared for the reality of adopting a waiting child. Not all medical conditions are correctable and minor.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The problem with the reason WHY these people are adopting in the first place. The mentality of saving children is on the rise and not so very long ago it was very easy and quick to adopt from China--"saving" a child and getting a little girl who many perceived as a clean slate since they were so young (obvioulsy both are not true). Many of those people are still waiting and looking to shorten that wait in some way instead of pulling out (as needs to be the case due to all the issues around corruption, lack of available children--supply/demand issues, etc.) Many have changed to various other countries, but many are still looking to wait for China. The waiting children's list will continue to grow and sustain as there are more children being born with issues--chemical exposure being a major cause--many of these children will not have minor needs and even if their physical need may seem minor, their emotional needs can be a major ongoing process.
    IMO--anyone only searching for minor/correctable needs is going into adoption for the wrong reasons. I am not saying everyone should be open to anything--far from as that is not good for anyone (parent or child) to get into a situation you cannot handle or are not prepared for, but if you truly want to parent a child for the sake of parenting, you will look for a child, not a special need. If that makes sense.
    We had never heard of M's difference, much of making the decision was based on gut feeling and of course as much research as we could locate--not much. Her difference has brought surgeries (and at least one more), but it was her emotional needs and also dealing with other's ignorance about her difference that has been most challenging. I think many people forget that no matter how much you love you child and accept them, others don't always do so and your child will deal with that--there is no sugar coating it away. Be prepared for the difference, but also the reaction to it. That does not go away!
    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy for your thoughts! I had a hard time trying to find the correct words for what I was trying to say. You've summed it up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Dayna.

    My husband was also born with a heart condition and has been through open heart surgery and was just told a couple of months ago that he would have to have surgery again within the next couple of years. Our situation is very like yours where we asked for a child with a special heart, but we didn't get a child with that SN, instead we got our sweet Lilah.

    Sometimes I wonder if God didn't think I was up to the task of taking on a child with a special heart. It kinda makes me feel bad and even shallow - I don't know what makes me say that. I know our adoption was planned by God - not that we were told by God to 'save a child', NOT AT ALL. But that we ended up with fertility problems and had talked about adoption more than 10 years ago, wayyy before we actually realized we had fertility issues, and were subsequently led to adopt. I really think it was meant to be and it was God's plan. But I want to reiterate, we didn't do it to 'save' a child. We did it for our our selfish wants and needs - to be parents.

    Anyway, I'm rambling. But all that to say that sometimes you don't get what you ask for, and maybe it's because God knows what's best for each family.

    I don't know about you guys, but our social worker made us do a lot of research into heart disease, even though Colin was born with it and our SW also made us write out a 2 page essay style paper on why we wanted to adopt a child with a special heart. Also, our agency, (same as you Dayna!), interviewed us for the waiting children program. I believe they do their work too, because I know a couple that didn't make it into the program, possibly because they were too flakey.

    I don't know how to put this into words well, but sometimes I feel that you never know what a situation is really going to be like until you're in it and living it. And I believe that unconditional love is everything - at the end of the day it's your child and you'll do anything for that child, no matter what.

    Great post, really got me thinking.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Jill. I know our agency has been having trouble recently and I don't agree with everything going on. However, I really respect their waiting child program and the person in charge. She was there for us while we were in China and when we first got home. Even before we accepted Brennyn's referral she wanted to make sure we were ready and understood what type of medical situation we were dealing with (well as much as they knew). She gave us the direct line to the doctor they use and we were able to chat with her (on a weekend even). I can't say enough about her.
    The part that made me respect her the most was that she did not judge us, make us feel we had to accept the referral, she just wanted to make sure that this child found a family (not finding a child for a family).
    It just so happened that I knew she was our daughter. Yes, that may be cheesy but it's true. Honestly, when we first saw Avery's referral almost 4 years ago I did not have that feeling. As soon as I held her in my arms I did, but not looking at the picture. Yet, when I saw Brennyn's picture I just knew. Maybe it was because I was already a mom?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you hit post Dayna !

    I had about 03495809 posts typed up and they all didn't say what I wanted to. All I really want to say is that I am so glad Brennyn found you and you found her. That she is adjusting well and you are there for her every single need. No matter the cost :)

    Keep it up, she is perfect !

    ReplyDelete