Friday, November 26, 2010

Brave little girl



Home again! First surgery done (first in Canada anyway).

I am so proud of Brennyn and am in awe. She was fantastic. I don't think an adult would have handled her situation better. Oh, and she won the nursing staff over in seconds! One of the nurses even ran out and got her a new doll!
My baby had her last bite of food at 6:30 Wednesday evening. Her surgery was booked for 2:00pm on Thursday, but was delayed until 5:00. She did not even ask me for food until after 3:00, and did not whine or cry once. She just said "mommy I'm hungry". Blair and I felt so bad for her and did not eat in solidarity (okay, we did have breakfast while she was still sleeping that morning).
She did exactly what the nurses and doctors said to do. Finally, when the surgical nurse came to get her, Brennyn just said "bye mommy and daddy". We watched her walk down the hall and she yelled "see you later alligator". Blair turned to me and said "are you crying". Of course, I said "umm, no, my eyes are just itchy" (I was bawling, but Brennyn didn't see).

Just over 21/2 hours later, we were called to recovery and the surgery was finished. Still, Brennyn did not complain. She looked at us, closed her eyes and went back to sleep (after the nurse gave her some morphine).
We went back to her room, read a story and Brennyn slept for the rest of the night. Blair and I squished ourselves onto the daybed and slept on and off.

By the time we got home, Brennyn was acting like her normal self. I had to make her watch tv (only way to keep her resting and not jumping around, damaging her hand).

She is very sleepy tonight, so I'm hoping her hand doesn't hurt her too much. She said it doesn't hurt, but I don't know how it could not hurt. She has a cast from her fingertips to her shoulder, that will come off Dec. 7th. She also had some skin taken from her leg for a skin graft.

So, surgery 1 is done, only 3 (or 4) more to go!

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I just had to read the "See you later alligator" and started bawling too.
    Dear oh dear.
    Yes, you do have a brave little girl. Too brave.

    Thinking about her.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention how precious she looks in those photos. That little smile, no wonder she is a heart winner. I can totally see that happening. :)

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill! She is a little too brave, I have to think it's the years of living in the orphanage and of being so sick all the time. Broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing little sprite you have there :) Smiles and everything !

    I hope she is feeling better with each day that passes .. soon it will be a distant memory for her ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would break my heart too. I hope she is still doing okay.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete