Thursday, November 10, 2011

Now that was an emotion stirring TV show

I watched Harry's Law last night, only seen the show a handful of times, but I saw the preview for last night's episode couldn't turn away.

I'm going to have to assume that someone on the writing team has a child adopted from China. I just cannot see the average North American having that much insight into what is currently taking place in China and being discussed in the adoption community.

I really do not know what the right answer is in that type of situation. I know, logically that the child belongs with her birth family, she was forcibly taken by the "family planning officials" (not going to describe the whole premise of the episode, if you are really interested I'm sure it's being discussed elsewhere on the 'net).
Yet, the child has lived with her adoptive family for 4 years and only really knows this family as her parents.
The adoptive parents are also not to blame in this fictional account. They adopted a 2 year old and the TV show explains that they believed China to be a stable, uncorrupted adoption program. Isn't this what we all believed, once upon a time??
The most heartbreaking part of this case is the child. It is not the fault of either set of parents that this situation occured. The fault lay at the hands of the family planning officials. However, you can't go back in time and undo what has been done.

I really don't feel that this story was just that, a story. I think something similar to this could easily happen. Children are being kidnapped in China, and some are being taken by overzealous government officials. I cannot imagine my life without my children, and if one of my children disappeared you can bet I would do whatever it took to get them back.

Families in China are trying to be heard, and I hope someone will really start to listen.

Nobody should be put in this position, especially not a child.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the preview for this a day late :( I really wish I could of seen it. It's a very interesting and very real situation. When I see something like that a little flicker of fear sets in that someone could have taken A2 without her birthparents knowing and they could be looking for her ? She is so settled and adjusted and so MINE lol
    There can't be a right answer in that situation. It's just so wrong :(

    ReplyDelete