Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Books

I'm almost finished reading XinRan's book, Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother.
I highly recommend this book to any adoptive parent with a child born in China. It should be a must read in my opinion. It's not an easy book to read, it is very heartbreaking but it opens your eyes to another world. How spoiled have we been in the West? So often we turn a blind eye to the sufferings of others.
I'd love to have the opportunity to speak with XinRan one day. What a brave, strong woman she must be. To tell the stories of the women of China, stories that are usually hushed and buried and so often forgotten by others.

6 comments:

  1. I know. I have read three of her books. As you did, I just wanted to talk with her. There are so many questions and really just to speak with someone about the reasons behind M's parents not being able to care for her--we know the whys but it would be great to talk with someone who understands culturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if I sent her a message on FB if she would reply?? I'm sure she is a very busy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe. I was thinking of writing her a letter, but I wondered if I would get a form one back. Let's go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the book and agree it is very important for APs to read this. Have you seen the documentary Long Wait For Home? It is not nearly as dramatic, but gives birth families a voice. It was after watching it that we decided to start searching for our girls' birth families.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi April. No I haven't seen that documentary. I'm going to look for it though. I'll have to e-mail you about our search results for Avery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.lovewithoutboundaries.org/lwfh/index.html

    If for some reason you are unable to have a copy shipped directly to you, I will send you one if you like.

    high-five@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete