Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hives, hives oh my

We ordered in some pizza last night for a treat, since Tuesday is busy night with Mandarin class, etc.
Avery kept mentioning that she was itchy. She wasn't eating her pizza, and this should have tipped me off because that girl loves her pizza. However, again being the good mommy I am I said something along the lines of "stop fooling around and eat your food". This went on for 5 minutes and I swear I thought she was playing a game. In my defense, Avery has suddenly become Miss picky pants at dinner and lunch time. She plays around with Brennyn, the dogs, anything but eat.

Suddenly, Blair and I noticed some spots forming under her eye. I took her shirt off and her arms were bright red. Her face seemed to be expanding before my eyes. I was calm under the pressure, NOT. Blair was all, "just relax, it's just an allergic reaction". "Maybe you should grab my stethoscope".
Brennyn just sat in her chair, eating her pizza.

Avery was a tad alarmed, but she just wanted to check out her face in the mirror.

Thank god we had the Benadryl we bought for our China trip. Worked it's magic in minutes.
However, Benadryl does not make Avery sleepy. I have never seen anything like it. She was a mad woman. Jumping around the house, running after the dogs, talking a mile a minute. As I said on facebook, she was like the energizer bunny on speed! It does have a warning mentioning excitability as a possible side effect. They aren't kidding.

If I wasn't so panicked I would have taken some photos. Oh, and I have no idea what caused the reaction. I don't know if it was the pizza, laundry detergent???

3 comments:

  1. I am allergic to more than things than not, it could be anything in the pizza. Most likely the herbs though, was it a new pizza place?
    I am sorry she had to go through it--and you.
    Benedryl is the opposite for me, I have to take children's or I am zoned out drug case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure Wendy. She had the hives again last night (at bedtime), but we did have the rest of the pizza for lunch. I still think it could be the detergent but who knows? It's just strange because she has never had anything like this happen before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that's awful. Poor Avery.

    You definitely painted a funny picture though. I was laughing, like the bad mommy I am!! Sure glad I have the Benadryln (sp?) I bought for China lying around too, just in case!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete