Friday, January 29, 2010

ramblings of an adult adoptee, part 2

I am about to start rambling again, so be warned! Also, this is just the point of view of one adult adoptee and adoptive parent.

I keep reading blogs, yahoo groups, articles where people talk about ending adoption. This statement really hurts, especially when it comes from an adoptive parent. I was raised by 2 parents who were unable to give birth to a child, placed for adoption by a young teenager who was still in high school. What would my life have been like if there was no adoption? I will never know, however I am very happy with the way it turned out (thus far).
There will always be people who long for a child, but are unable to conceive. Why should they not be given the opportunity to parent a child, because adoption is such a terrible thing.
I just feel that these statements trivialize my life and my children's lives.
I'm not saying that I haven't had issues in my life, of course I have. Would I have issues if I wasn't adopted? I can't answer that question because that is not my life. I am starting to embrace the fact that I am adopted. Do other adoptees? Of course not. As I've mentioned before, everyone is different. We are not one person, one adoptee. We have different life experiences, personalities and traits. Maybe I am too glass half full, but this is how I feel.

I do agree that as adoptive parents, we have to open and willing to communicate with our children. Adoption is not shameful, talk about it! Take the lead from your child, but you may also have to nudge (speaking from my personal experience as a teenager).

Yes, unfortunately there are so many problems associated with adoption, corruption, secrecy, etc. It is the secrecy that creates many issues, again my opinion. Is not idealistic to talk about a world without adoption? Instead, should we not concentrate on making the adoption process better for all involved?

I could go on and on about the subject of adoption, but this is supposed to be my lighthearted family blog!

2 comments:

  1. please talk about it !! it gives me good insight to how in the future my children may feel...as you say all adoptees are different but what worked for you may work for me :)

    i love your positive attitude !

    a m y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayna! You do have a great attitude and I only hope and pray that my daughter will one day have your attitude. Do you think that has to do with the fact that your parents spoke about adoption in a positive way, or is that your personality? Just wondering.

    Either way, I know you make your parents very proud...as do our sweet girls make us proud. And nothing will ever change the fact of how much we're loved, either if we're a biological child or an adopted child.

    Love gets us through the tough times.

    Thanks so much for sharing this. keep it coming!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete