Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Avery Day



It's your day today Avery. Hard to believe it has been 3 years since the day we met. I will never forget a single minute of that day. I was scared, excited, nervous, and happy. As soon as you were placed in my arms I cried. Yes, they (the experts) say not to cry as you may frighten the already terrified child but I was just so overwhelmed. I could not believe that I was finally a mom and that you were my daughter!
You love to hear the story of that day and how you cried and screamed for 3 hours straight. You love to hear about the man who handed you to us (Mr. Tu), and we love to talk about it. Okay, you don't love it as much as the stinky poop story (when you filled your diaper and shirt at a restaurant in China and the ladies were running out of the bathroom because of the stink and poor mommy had to try and change you while daddy laughed from the hallway).

I love your beautiful smile, inquisitive nature, how you love to dance and sing, your shyness (just like mommy), the sound of your laughter, your love of books (again just like mommy), your humour (even if it is usually related to potty jokes). I even love that you like star trek and Dr. Who just like you Daddy. I love that you would rather play cars than dolls, colour or read books instead of playing with toys.

I know you are going through some big changes right now and as you say "it's hard being a big sister". I just want you to know how much we love you and how happy we are that you are our daughter.
Somehow I became the mother to this child, it amazes me every day.

EDIT:posting this the night before, no time tomorrow. We have special food to make, cake to eat. It's a tradition in my family to let the child choose what meal they want for their special day (my parent's still like to celebrate my day, even though they adopted me 35 years ago and we don't even live in the same town anymore).

Also, the baby picture is of Avery on her first night with us in China.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, happy Avery day! Enjoy choosing your favourite restaurant! :)

    How special!

    3 years makes a BIG difference!

    Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, she's such a beautiful girl! And on the inside too, by the way you describe her!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful then and now! Have a great Avery day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making me CRY!!!!
    Beautiful post, Dayna. And I know it's from the bottom of your heart.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete