Sunday, November 29, 2009

The days became a blur


It's actually difficult for me to remember part of the trip already. I think I was so exhausted that the days began to blend together (although it did not feel like it at the time).
It was easier for me to sleep with Brennyn. She would wake up numerous times in the night screaming at this point. The walls were paper thin in the Gloria Xi'an. Thank goodness it was the other adoptive family next to us. It seemed like when one child was finally settled, the other would start crying. The only difference was that their child was only 15 months old, just a baby. Also, Brennyn's screams were so loud, it was like a wounded animal.

I would just hold her on my stomach and eventually she would fall back to sleep. However, if I tried to move her or if I tried to speak to her the screaming intensified.

I forgot to mention that we were told she had some diaper rash. I could not believe it when I changed her diaper on that first day. Her bum had oozing sores. I had never seen anything like it (now we know why, she has an infection that must be treated with antibiotics if she gets any kind of sores).

To add to our stress levels, Blair started to feel sick. Now, I do have a tendency to not believe Blair or just not really listen when he says he isn't feeling great (just think of the boy who called wolf). Anyway, I knew this was not one of those times, he really was ill. At first I thought it was the stress, but when he started heaving I knew something was up.
Blair still dragged himself to the wild goose pagoda on day 3 or 4. It was amazing sight. We lit some incense and an elderly gentleman helped me with mine. He wanted to make sure I did it correctly (according to our guide, he was smitten with Miss Brennyn).
Brennyn was great, again because we were outside. She walked holding our hands, I even think she smiled once or twice.
Blair really started to fade as the day went on.
By the next day he was very, very ill. I went on a tour alone with Brennyn, but our guide wanted to hurry back to check on Blair. She really was a great guide and I hope to keep in touch with her! She made Blair go to the hospital, which was an experience!
I'll have to save that for a post on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment