Tuesday, November 24, 2009

An Yi Rui


The children were waiting for us in a small room. Brennyn was wandering around looking at everything. We sat on a couch and our guide said "this is An Yi Rui". To Brennyn she said "this is your mama and baba". That was it! Brennyn had a bruise on her cheek. In hindsight (again), I think they pinched her cheeks to make her swallow her food. Of course, the nanny just said she didn't know how the bruise got there. We bribed Brennyn with snacks and neat toys. Perhaps in hindsight, the food wasn't the best idea to give to a hoarder. However, she remained calm and even happy for that first day. That happy girl was gone by the next morning, not to return for a week! She was just so scared.

We were able to ask the nanny questions for about 20 minutes or so. Again, in hindsight, we have since discovered that much of what she said conflicted with what was in Brennyn's half the sky paperwork. Maybe she wasn't her main caregiver??

Finally, we were all herded back to the van and sent to the hotel. Each family also had their own van (even though we were staying at the same hotel).

I don't know what bothered me about that day. It just seemed so impersonal. It was so very different from Avery's day. I can't really describe how I feel. I was so happy to have my girl, but it was not all rainbows and lollipops!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that did seem a bit impersonal.
    Thankfully she was okay for the first while, that change of hands must be so hard on their little emotions, and well, everything. I can't imagine why China doesn't have a better system of getting to know your child before they 'hand them over'.

    I digress!

    What a lovely picture of you two!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete